Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Caged Bird Bookmark

This is an old project but we thought it might be of interest to Tim Holtz fans. It was made for a bookmark swap on the Crafttelly forum. I wanted to make something a little different to the usual flat bookmark but something that could still be used for its intended function. 

The bookmark is made from Tim Holtz Grungeboard for durability and the 3D element at the top is made using Tim's Caged Bird Sizzix die. I cut two cages out of grungeboard and bowed them a little, grungeboard is great for this as it is very flexible and cuts nice and cleanly with the Sizzix steel rule dies. These were treated to various colours of embossing powder on both sides to create a gilded look. They were fixed to the flat part of the bookmark using simple brads covered up with some gems. The edges of the cage were then glued together giving the impression of a circular cage.

The bird was stamped with Creative Expressions Rubber Stamp Textures and slotted through the cage so it pokes out front and back. The main part of the bookmark was then distressed, stamped with Creative Expressions Rubber Stamp Textures and some embossed swirls added. Oh, and the letter L was added for the lady the bookmark was made for :-)

Thursday, 12 July 2012

Blossom Bucket by Gabrielle

For my latest project I have been playing with my favourite designer’s products. The fabulous Wendy Vecchi designs wonderful stamps, Art Parts and now embellishments! I used an Art Part Arched Frame and covered it in Peeled Paint Distress Stain. I then over stamped it with a dotty stamp in Sepia Archival Ink.  To the edges of the frame, inside and out, I added Vintage Photo Distress Ink (I know, I use it on everything!) I then took two leaves and stained then with Peeled Paint Distress Stain an, once I’d finally decided on where to place them, I used Glossy Accents to attach them.

I took the rather lovely beige flower  and added Vintage Photo Distress Ink to the edges to give it a little colour and attached it on top of the leaves. The full Art Part shape in the background was coloured with Tumbled Glass Distress Stain and I used Cobalt Archival Ink to stamp the tree. The sentiment was stamped onto kraft card using three stamps from the Collectibles Art set.

 The small rectangular Art Part was inked with Broken China Distress Stain and edged in Vintage Photo Distress Ink. I used Broken China Distress Ink to stamp the tree and then added the bottle and floral bouquet. The base of the bouquet was a smidge too big to fit inside the neck of the bottle so I ‘nibbled’ the edges with my scissors.  To finish the frame I added stamped leaves and an advertisement - both were stamped onto grungepaper.  Thank you so much for stopping by!