Thursday, 30 October 2014

Halloween hanging

Tomorrow is All Hallow’s Eve and every year I make sure I create at least one major project for Halloween. So, in anticipation, I'm sharing the Halloween hanging I made this year…

I took a long piece of cardboard from a packing box and stripped most of one side off before brushing ink washes over it - first with Stream and then with Denim:

Misted water combines and blends the inks together before spraying with Dylusions white ink. Once dry, a strip of G45 Halloween paper (Steampunk spells), torn and edged with black DI, was added:

Out came this headstone die which has been rubbed all over with Pumice stone DI and then dabbed with Old paper DI before being edged with black:

This skeleton made with movable pieces has been cut using a very old Sizzix die. All the elements have been coloured with Old paper DI and then edged with black before being put together with vintage brads:

The skull die cut has this rather silly 'smile' cut into it which I don't like at all (rather childish) so off came the head and I replaced it with one of Tim's remnant rubs cut out from card:

These Ornate crosses are also Sizzix dies (Tim's) and have been given the same treatment as the headstone but with the addition of a few daubs of Brushed corduroy DI as well:

A piece of old newspaper glued to card formed the base for the Rickety house die cut. It was rubbed over with Brushed corduroy DI before being misted with water and, eventually, edged with black DI:

The cat and raven were cut using the mini Movers and shapers dies then coloured with DIs. A mist of water was used to blend the colours together. Once dry they were glazed with Glossy accents and a rhinestone used for the raven's eye:

 The house has been edged in black and a backing made by tracing aroud the outside on orange card and cutting out. Shadows were inked on the background using the blending tool:

The Cityscape On the edge die also proved useful and that was backed onto orange card too:

The headstone has been stamped with a general script stamp and 'RIP' ghost brushed (pardon the pun) onto it with black DI and a small stippling brush:

The final elements are the Flashcard ('Magic'), edged and a thin strip of inked page from my scraps wallet added. The handle for the hanging has been made from American seam binding with a bead knotted into the middle:





Central focus:

Hanging up:

Whether you have kids or not, we can all join in the fun of Halloween so I hope you've enjoyed this project.  Our next post is Sunday so have a great Halloween tomorrow and we hope to see you at the weekend.

Chris xxx

1 comment: