Sunday, 22 January 2017

Watercolour powders

Hi Brenda here.

Here's a quick background for you and using the Tim Holtz doily stencil with infusions but do read on to the bottom as you will see what happened after I had created and photographed the process steps.

When using a stencil and Infusions (or other watercolour powders) you can get both a positive and a negative design from them. let's take a look.

1. Lay the stencil on the card, spritz lightly with water and shake some infusions powders lightly over the top. I used Royal Blood and Sunset Beach. Spritz over the surface again lightly with the water mister ........

2....... so that the colours will settle onto the card and you will also have watery colours on the surface of the stencil.

3. Remove the stencil and you will be left with the positive design, roll a paper towel over the surface to remove excess colour or heat dry.

4. Take the stencil, flip it over and lay on a piece of card, press down gently with a piece of kitchen roll.

5. When you remove the stencil you are left with the negative design - my one is rather watery so ease up a little on the spritzing if necessary.

6. Again roll over the surface with kitchen towel or just heat dry.

7. Lay the stencil back over the design, take a couple of distress inks and blend them over .....

8...... so that you fill in the positive image again.

Ok so this is where I say my stencil choice and colour choices did not go well together and to be honest I think it will have to go in the bin - see we all do it lol. I debated starting from scratch and re-doing everything again but I think it's important that we share our mistake as well as our successes, we can't get it right every time. So here's another I made and used for the final card.

Here I used the Nordic stencil with Violet Storm and A Bit of Jade Infusions ......

...... and dusty concord, peacock feathers and gathered twigs distress inks for a completely different look.

I cut the design to 9½ x 18 cms and a tall card to 10½ x 19 cms so they would fit together.
gathered some elements to make up a collage and sentiment.

And hey presto we have a vintage card.

Thanks for bearing with me, I hope you get to have a play with the infusions and if you's like to see more I have another design over on my blog too. I would love to see you over at Bumblebees and Butterflies.

Happy Sunday.

hugs Brenda xxx

Wednesday, 18 January 2017


Hello and welcome to my second project this month which utilises a few scrap pieces!

It all started when I squeezed out rather too much Nougat Fresco Paint and was looking around for something to paint to use it up when I spied a couple of experimental pieces lying in the scraps box. I would imagine I have used a combination of Seedless Preserves and Picked Raspberry Distress Ink for these inky layers with a stencil but way too bright for me! 

But look at the lovely hues when they are covered with Nougat Fresco Paint - fabulous and much more me!

I added a couple of strips of tissue tape and some very light stamping with Hickory Smoke Distress Ink.

Then a little contrast stamping with Black Archival ink. 

I decided not to introduce any further colours so hunted through the scraps box again and found this stamped butterfly .....

.... and a die cut from one of Tim's handwritten words (always so handy for this kind of card!). Everything then got a bit of a splattering with some watered down gesso.

I then stuck everything on to a 6" x 3" card blank cut from some cream cardstock and edged with gold pen. 

I shall certainly be looking through my scraps box for more brightly coloured experimental pieces as the coating of paint really makes for a lovely muted background.

Thank you for joining me today and have a great week!

Jennie x

Live The Dream

Monday, 16 January 2017

Block Heart

Hi it's Brenda here from Bumblebees and Butterflies. I thought I would design something a little different as a valentine card/gift to give to my hubbie this year and there's still plenty of time for you to make one too if you want to have a go.

Take a small block of wood, sand the edges smooth so there are no jagged edges to give you splinters  and .........

...... give it three coats of rustic chalky finish paint.

Next take a palette knife and lightly scrape over some lace chalky finish paint.

Mix a pink to fit in with the vintage timeworn look. I used all chalky paints, innocence, lace, rustic and everlasting. 

Again scrape some over the sides and top of the block.

Next give a watery wash of lace all over to unify the colours.

With any left over pink colours I scraped them over a piece of card and left to dry then stamped the hearts and tickets onto it.

On the back panel I stamped my sentiment and some words from Tim's stamp set (see below)

On the front I stamped the words several times to completely cover the surface - but to achieve the random look after I have dabbed the archival ink pad over the stamp I wipe of random parts with a baby wipe.

On the sides and top panel I used a mini stencil and fired brick distress ink to create the patterning.

I also die-cut a large heart from left overs that I keep in a box - they come in so useful for pieces like this.

I cut and re-painted the stamped hearts as the red ink did not fit with the colours I had been using and put together little pieces on each side.

Thanks for stopping by.

hugs Brenda xxx