Monday 12 August 2019

A page in my Seth Apter book


Hi there, it's Celia here, with some more inspiration from Seth Apter. I've been making a book using some of his techniques, and today I would like to share how I made a page on fabric.

I used some calico and primed it with pva to give it some structure. I have already done one side of the fabric, so in my bid to complete some of my half started projects, I thought I'd do the other side. The edge of this page will be covered up when I stick it in, so I tried to bear this in mind when composing my piece.

I started by pulling out a pallet of colours from my PaperArtsy fresco chalk paints.

I randomly brushed some colours with a stiff hogs hair brush

Then did some stencilling with Chalk to brighten it up a bit.

A few crosses with Tim Holtz's Stitched stencil in Slate

And some stamping. I really like the new StazOn Pigment ink pads. They are really opaque so great for mixed media work if you want to stamp over lots of layers of acrylic or other mediums. I also used some Archival, as I only have the StazOn pigment in black at the moment(this will soon change...) I used some of Seth's new minis from PaperArtsy -EM41, EM47 and EM48. I used EM47 round the edge to create a rough border. 

Then I thought it needed some more colour, so I did some more stencilling with Butternut, Terracotta and Orchid.

Then came the embossing powder. I used Versamark to stamp one of Seth's Large Extras stamps. I used Rocky Road, but it didn't stick to the fabric very well. After heating, I went back in with a Versamark pen and some finer black powder to fill in the gaps. 

On the other side of the page, I had used a stencil and sponged the versamark through, which was more successful than stamping, so I did the same again. This worked much better. I used a stencil I had made with a Spellbinders die cut in card and Rustic Indigo
I finished off with some pen work to define some of the shapes and add more interest and finally stapled on a piece of hessian. Here is the finished page



and here it is stuck in my book.

If you feel inspired by Seth Apter, do check out his Creativation demo's on youtube, and also his blog or the old blog, The Altered Page 

Thanks for stopping by!

Celia  x

3 comments: