Wednesday 13 January 2016

Come what may...

Hello all, it's Alison here with you from Words and Pictures, and I've been playing with the Dina Wakley Scribbly Birds again.
(Did you see the smaller versions just released this CHA?  Very sweet!)


I carefully took process photos at each stage but for some reason my camera didn't save them to the card, so they've vanished.  A little worrying - if it's going to start doing that, I'll be constantly worrying that my photos are going to disappear on me... and I'm just going to have to fill you in on what I did without photographic evidence I'm afraid.


I've been playing in an old hardback book again, starting with reinforcing the pages with tissue tape and then giving the spread a coat of gesso.


The next photos are missing, but I added extra tissue tape scraps in random places, applied some Taupe Fresco paint with a credit card across the centre of the pages.


I stamped two of Dina's Scribbly Birds on some separate cardstock and used Fresco paints in a very loose, watery way to paint them.  The colours are Chalk, Taupe and French Roast.


Later I added some Brown Shed and more French Roast for the beaks, and some extra detailing using pastel pencils.


Even later than that, I stamped some vintage script in Pumice Stone Distress Ink around the shaded areas of their bellies for extra interest.


I used a blending tool to apply Stormy Sky Distress Ink across the sky, and spritzed and flicked it for extra texture.  And in the end, I added some of the Pumice Stone script stamping in places too, to echo the detailing on the birds' bodies.  The (not actual) credit card came out again to apply Snowflake paint across the pages.  I also splattered some Vintage Photo Distress Spray just by unscrewing the cap and gently tapping the spray hose over the page.


I tried the birds out on my pages, and decided each of them needed somewhere to "live", so I used the tree from Mini Holidays 3 (I've got the slightly larger version from Winter Sketchbook), turned on its side to create horizontal branches for the second bird to perch on.   It's stamped in Sepia, but I used French Roast Fresco Paint both to tint the stamped lines and to colour the branches in.


And I stamped the wildflowers from Tim's Spring Sprung set (on sale at the moment, if you're quick) also in Sepia Archival in the other corner.  Once I'd glued the birds in place, I used pastel and watercolour pencils to shade around them and embed them in to the page.


And the same pencils created a soft framing effect around the words.


They are Idea-ology Small Talk stickers, of course - an absolute must-have around my way, where words are so important.


So, I hope you like my book page art journalling...  I really enjoyed this one, and the Scribbly Birds are fast becoming favourites of mine.


Thanks so much for stopping by today.  I'll be back with another project later in the month, and this time I hope the camera will cooperate and let me share some process photos with you.  Until then, happy crafting, and I'll see you out there in Craftyblogland.

Alison x




33 comments:

  1. The page is just gorgeous - love the birds (yes, can't wait to get the small ones!!) Hope your camera is ok - would be a real pain if you keep losing photos. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning pages, great to see the scribbly birds done Butterfly style
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally stunning!! Love how you coloured the scribbly birds, the additional stamping on them is so clever and the branches on which they sit are just perfect too against that stunning background, - love the whole spread!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this charming wintery spread. You never cease to amaze me Alison!♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant pages!! The birds really lively and this scenery beautifully. I love the pages and colours are so cool. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful layout. The birds are so brilliantly brought to life. There is a sense that they will fly off any second. Just fabulous! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great idea with the book,you've inspired me to give it a go
    Hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous pages - I love the little birds against that wonderfully textured background - so wintery and such a lovely colour palette.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very sweet Alison! i see the theme is in keeping with Wanderlust! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such exquisite pages Alison... Love your delicate Pumice Stone Script stamping, and all the shades here and there using either inks, pencils or paints, just wonderful!!! Coco xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely scene, the birds look like they belong there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful spread, Alison, love your birds...I bought the stamp/stencil set ,too, but have only ,so far, used the stencil !! Your lovely naturel looking birds gives me the inspiration to also use the stamps, but they are rather big, yes !!I love you made them little homes, on your gorgeous background !!
    Dorthe Xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful spread, Alison, love your birds...I bought the stamp/stencil set ,too, but have only ,so far, used the stencil !! Your lovely naturel looking birds gives me the inspiration to also use the stamps, but they are rather big, yes !!I love you made them little homes, on your gorgeous background !!
    Dorthe Xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. As always, beautifully done work. Alison is a master! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. As always, beautifully done work. Alison is a master! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous AJ pages Alison love those scribble birds and as always great colours
    MaggieH

    ReplyDelete
  17. what wonderfuo pages Alison! I just love how you layer paints and stampings - I have the scribble birds and have not inked them up once! I need more time to play!! Love these pages! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. beautiful pages and wonderful techniques Alison - lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the way you created this wonderful frosty background! The scribbly birds make this a truly fabulous spread! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful pages, great design. I love the birds and the soft colors.
    Greetings
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous journal spread Alyson. I love the way you have used the Scribbly birds. I've just bought them so I'm very grateful for your inspiring post ! Toni x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutely gorgeous details! Love this spread!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Simple from a distance, but close up your spread is so full of detail! Love Dina's birds (need to ink mine up again!) and you have done them proud here.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cool pages! Those scribbly birds are way cool. I heard people debating about some smaller version birds from CHA (Tim's or these... or maybe both?). Love all the details like the extra outlining in other colors. That really makes this pop and be more artsy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the way that you have bedded the birds in Alison....don't know how they survive this weather! Beautiful pages! X

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful Alison. Love all the layering and description of how you have undertaken this project.
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. So beautiful Alison, you are truly a gifted artiste. Love those little birdies and your gorgeous scene. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's a real joy to see the close ups on this and hear how it came to life. The layers really add to the dimension and depth on this. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Stunning pages - love the colours and effects xxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful Alison, I do adore Dina's scribbly birds and they look so happy on your lovely journal pages! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such a charming piece with those sweet birds and I love the colour palette.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete