Sunday 24 May 2015

Bird Crazy Birthday

Bird Crazy 2
A little birthday card using the popular Bird Crazy stamp set from Tim Holtz. I decided to also use some of Tim’s ideas from his April tag – creating the band across the card, with the stamped and inked layer tucked underneath. He explains this far better than me! The link to his tag is here and you can see my version here.
I started by working out my dimensions as this is a standard C6 card. So I cut some card from one of Tim’s paper stacks to 14.3 x 10cm and some white card stock to 1 cm less all round. I then cut the 3cm band for the lettering 2cm from the base, stopping fractionally under 1cm from each edge so that the white card would slide through.
PicMonkey Collage 1
I then took the alphanumeric thinlits and cut ‘birthday’ across the band. This was my mistake of the day! When I now slid my white cardstock in, the negative shape of the letters was too wide! So I improvised and instread of just using the negative space (as Tim had done) I cut some actual letters to place into the space created.
I did this by inking a piece of card with scattered straw, wild honey and vintage photo distress inks and spritzed some water over. Once dry I cut my letters and one of the mixed media thinlits.
PicMonkey Collage 2
The white card stock was spritzed with a little weathered wood distress spray although this ended up hidden. I marked in pencil the position to stamp the bird so he sat just above the band. I then used distress inks to colour him.
IMG_7331-1
I also created a mask for the bird so I could use the wrinkle free distress technique on the remainder of the card stock and not get any of the varied blue tones over the image. (Inks used: Stormy sky, faded jeans and tumbled glass.)
IMG_7340-1
Here you can see how the letters fit into the spaces. I cut ‘happy’ from the Celebrate Handwritten thinlits set to complete the card.
Bird Crazy 1
I hope you like it!
Nikki

3 comments:

  1. Such a fun card Nikki I love those fun crazy birds. The lettering looks great put back in the space, lovely work x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Nikki and love how you 'rescued' your die cut slot, it looks wonderful! Those crazy birds make me smile every time I see them, they are just too cute!

    ReplyDelete