Saturday 2 May 2015

Wood effects

IMG_7229 copy
Hi everyone. Today I wanted to share this masculine birthday card including a couple of simple wood effects.

IMG_7218-1I started by painting a piece of white cardstock with brown acrylic paint. Once dry I dry brushed with gesso keeping all my brush strokes roughly in the same direction.



IMG_7219-1

Again once dry, I repeated with black acrylic – dry brushing - ensuring some of the white was still on show.


IMG_7220-1


 I then took one of the Deco Art Media Fluid Acrylics in quinacridone gold and covered the card. This paint is translucent so picks up the contrasts underneath of the brown, black and white.

As long as you have kept your brush strokes in straight lines you should get this mahogany style effect.
IMG_7214-1

For the other layer I took kraft card and painted with gathered twigs distress paint and a little paper artsy chalk paint in stone. Once dry I embossed with a woodgrain embossing folder.
IMG_7215-1



I gently sanded the embossed surface to reveal some of the card and inked with vintage photo.I cut some cogs from some of the mahogany style card stock, stamped my birthday greeting from Tim Holtz Simply Sayings and added a little twine to my card.




Thanks for visiting today.
Nikki

8 comments:

  1. Great ideas for contrasting wood effects Nikki! Thanks for sharing. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous project and technique! Looks great! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the two different wood effects, wonderful techniques! A wonderful masculine card Nikki! happy weekend, hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great masculine card!!! Thank you for the inspiration Nikki!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah is that how you did it,absolutely fab wood effect Nikki :)
    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great wood effects Nikki and a wonderful card.

    ReplyDelete