Monday 8 May 2017

Watercolour oxides.

Hi Brenda here.

I recently had some fun making up a masterboard with some of the oxides and gesso to produce this set of small (4x4) cards.



Take a piece of card that will take watery layers and dip it in separate washes of spiced marmalade and worn lipstick distress oxides and also a wash of fired brick distress ink. Dry between each wash.


Next mix some gesso with water and create another wash and dip it into this and heat dry. Depending on the size of your card you may need to do this quite a few times (my card was A4 size). Now you have a soft shabby feel to the background.


Cut the card to make backgrounds for whatever size card you are making - I decided to do some small cards and make them into a set to sell. First I chose the wildflowers stamps and dies to use and practised the watercolour technique with the oxides on a stamp, misting it and stamping to see what effects I got. Love it.


So with core'dinations cut flowers, the oxides, walnut stain DI and greetings made on the computer I set to work.




If you haven't tried using watery gesso for the shabby look or even to tone down colours you're not sure of it's well worth a go.


Thanks for stopping by.

hugs Brenda xxx






22 comments:

  1. Wow love these - want to play now and NOT go to work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH WOW I totally adore these!!! Brilliant effect and I bet they will sell like hot cakes! Such a great idea!! You have just inspired me to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a truly delightful set of cards Brenda!

    Sally xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous cards, Brenda! The watery oxide colours and gesso mix works wonderfully! Beautiful colours too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. These cards are truly fabulous! Love the cool backgrounds for those lovely flowers. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow Brenda, your little cards are beautiful, I love your shabby backgrounds and the die cut look so pretty on top! Great sentiments too. I can see these selling very well indeed! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these Brenda I have a friend coming over for a crafty day tomorrow so gonna try this as she wants to play with the oxides... will let you know our results and link back to you of course is that ok? Eileen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would love to see your results Eileen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful cards. Thank you for the brilliant tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tutorial with fabulous results! So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful cards and great to see how they were created! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful set of cards Brenda, gorgeous colours.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the effect you have created Brenda. This is fabulous - and your cards have turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely! I now wish I'd brought the other Oxide colours with me, instead of only my blues/greens/browns!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome! Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for this Distress Oxide Tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an interesting Tutorial. I have just today received my order of Distress Oxide Sprays, never used them before so I find you method very exciting, Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So pretty. I never thought to put the watery gesso on top.Came out beautiful.

    ReplyDelete