Monday 8 August 2016

Tailor made on Dapper Street

Hi it's Brenda here and I'm am sharing a tag I made using the new dapper stamps from Tim Holtz.


Step 1. Tear some tissue tape and add to the background before stamping over it with black archival ink.


Step 2. Add some other stamped images.


Step 3. Take a couple of stencils and modeling paste and add texture to the tag.


Step 4. Apply very small dots of media acrylic colours - I used phthalo green yellow, hansa yellow light and quinacridone gold - spritz some water to the side of each dot of paint (if you spray directly on top of the paint you get a coloured spray over your mat and work if it is close by - believe me this is the voice of experience talking lol). Use a coffee stirrer (or anything else you have to hand for this job) and mix the pigment with the water.


Step 5. Drag the tag through the colours - this was all that was left when I had finished but you can see a little paint goes a very long way.


 Step 6. If you have gaps showing through the colours you could leave them or I just picked some colour up with my fingers and spread over the gaps to fill them in. Heat dry and if your tag buckles with the wetness pop it under a heavy book or box to flatten it.


Steps 6 onwards. This is where my brain just gets stuck in to what I'm doing and I haven't taken photos of every single step, but I went on and used a brush and paints to go over the textured pieces, dried it and then rubbed tiger lily, olive green and coffee archival ink pads over it to get that more artsy, mottled look. I used a brown pitt pen on some of the edges of the words and numbers to make them stand out a bit more and I also used a black pen on the hat, jacket and bow tie to create more depth of shading.


 To finish off add some hemp string dipped in quinacridone gold and a small talk sticker.


So I hope you like my brighter, artsy tag today with these fabulous new stamps - I can see these coming out for some masculine cards needed in the future.

Take care.

hugs Brenda xxx







5 comments:

  1. Brilliant tag and clear 'tutorial'. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your very dapper tag Brenda. The bright colours work really well. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenda, this is stunning, I love the colours in the background and the way the 13, Art and numbers stand out in the brown! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fantastic Brenda, thanks for super step x step. It brings to mind a) Magritte and an exibition to him in Paris years ago and b) Pierce Brosnan in Thomas Crown Affair. Hmmm, my mind is staying on option B! Nicola x

    ReplyDelete