Monday 22 September 2014

Mixed media Journal Page

Hi it’s Brenda back again today and I am sharing a mixed media piece with you with lots of layers. 

When I began I didn’t have an end product in mind other than it might turn into a card or a journal page, just depended in what direction I went.
P1180556
I have used autumn colours as these are what I am beginning to see from my workroom window.
I began by using a palette knife to smear on gesso and rusty hinge distress paint and let it dry (I am impatient so I tend to use a heat gun lol).
P1180541
Next a adhered some bits of music tissue paper and then dabbed and daubed rusty hinge distress stain over it and I also dipped into the distress stain which I had put onto my craft mat and spritzed with water.
P1180542
I went back to the gesso for the next layer and this time used a piece of kitchen roll to dab it over.
P1180543
Again when dry, I dipped all of into gathered twigs distress stain this time. When it was dry I sprayed it with a gloss varnish to seal these layers in. (Don’t forget distress products react with water so anymore layering with inks or paints will blend with the layers you have created and you will lose their definition).
P1180545
I wanted to add more colour at this point so I smooshed mustard seed distress paint on my craft mat, spritzed it with water and dipped the card in and dapped off alot of the paint, just leaving enough to provide more of a glow to the colour range.
P1180546
Now I added some gesso to lighten it all again.
P1180547
Then dipped and dripped with the rusty hinge distress stain.
P1180551
I die-cut some trellis framework, dipped it in the gathered twigs stain and cut it to form a pattern across the card.
P1180553
I added a sentiment, but this is when I knew it was going to be a journal page as I had to embrace imperfections here with the stamping.
P1180554
I finished off by adding some of the framework inserts edging them with walnut stain and then giving some of them a shadow using a pastel pencil.
P1180562
I am rather pleased with this one, I really like the effects of all the layers.
P1180560
Thanks for stopping  by today to take a look at this project and if it inspires you to have a go at all the layers do let us know.

Enjoy the week.

hugs Brenda xxxx

15 comments:

  1. Lovely, it's got that ancient Venetian/Mediterranian plaster feeling to it!
    I've loved those type of dies for a while and got one myself recently. And I still haven't used it. So much inspiration around me, and so little time. The colours look just great.

    Debbie / Daqa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another stunning MM piece Brenda, LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this piece Brenda, but as autumn is my favourite season I suppose no one will be terribly surprised!

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  4. stunning work Brenda and something I will definitely try

    Thanks for the inspiration

    Hilda x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really is beautiful Brenda you have captured autumn colours perfectly. so many gorgeous layers xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous Brenda - what an amazing background! Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Brenda.
    You should be pleased with it, what a wonderful example of a mixed media substrate. It looks fantastic.
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous Brenda and I'm so glad we got to see your work as it progressed. All that layering really added up to a strength and depth of mottled colour that is really irresistible. And then you add the frameworks die cuts - superb! Love it all. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  9. love how you have built up all those gorgeous layers of texture and yummy autumnal colours x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful project Brenda!!! thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's really a wonderful mixed-media canvas Brenda, I love it!! Coco x

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are right to be pleased...it is fabulous :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  13. A fabulous background Brenda....I love the colour palette and I bet the texture i amazing. TFS and crafty hugs
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for this great tutorial Brenda, lovely piece with such wonderful depth.
    I have the trellis die and I just can't seem to get the best out of it but this has inspired me to keep at it!
    XxxRuth

    ReplyDelete