Wednesday 30 July 2014

A summer scene

You would think that using a scenic or purposed backing paper would be the easiest thing in the world when making a card, wouldn’t you? Not for me! I look at the scene and usually don’t want to cover it with anything at all. Finding a way to use the paper and maintain the integrity of the scene is something that I often struggle to do. I’m wondering whether anyone else out there has the same problem? If you do, this post is for you…

SummerScene1-14

I started with a scallop-edged 8” x 8” card blank and cut 2 mats for the base. The backing paper has been cut from a 12” x 12” scrapbooking paper, whichever way it was cut it formed a scene all over. I’ve given it a light edging with Brushed corduroy DI:
SummerScene1-02 SummerScene1-01

Mat and layered (but I don't want to cover any of it, lol!):
SummerScene1-04

This photo’ from Tim’s ‘Found relatives’ set was ideal for this card. I distressed the edges with a scalpel and inked it with the DI. Next I set about collecting the other things I wanted to include as embellishments:
SummerScene1-03 SummerScene1-05

White lace has been laid over a blue patterned washii tape. To add interest and focus to the photo I added some greyboard cut with the Honeycomb Frameworks die painted with Ice blue Fresco:
SummerScene1-06 SummerScene1-07

A few tags back, Tim used the debris from Frameworks dies as in-fills – that’s what I’ve done here to cover the left edge of the photo. This beautiful Spellbinders D-Lites anchor has been cut from matte gold card with actual tiny seashells stuck around it that Brenda brought back from the seaside for me:
SummerScene1-09
SummerScene1-08

Spellbinders flourish dies have been cut from plain black card as a feature for the stamped message tag:
SummerScene1-10 SummerScene1-11

These ‘birds’ are more debris from another die and the gulls in the bottom left corner are an epoxy sticker embellishment from an old scrapping collection:
SummerScene1-12 SummerScene1-13

Left:
SummerScene1-15

Right:
SummerScene1-16

Top right, bottom right, bottom left and centre:
SummerScene1-18 SummerScene1-17
SummerScene1-20 SummerScene1-19

Complete:
SummerScene1-21

Thanks for stopping by today, have a great week!

Chris xxx

7 comments:

  1. Great card Chris, love how you maintained the colours of you background scene with you embellishments. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous Chris,love the image and all your fab details.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great card Chris. Love this theme. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a shame to cover up those beach grasses in the background but you have covered it up with some wonderful items that really enhance the beautiful background paper. The anchor is beautiful, I think I might 'need' that die now..... Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab make, lovely layers. Lately, I've been so very CAS that I struggle with many layers these days and really admire the effortless way your project came together

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great layers on this card. Thanks for walking us through this. Love it! I am inspired and I really want to go take a walk on the beach now! Hugs -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those found relatives look quite at home in the beach scene you created for them. I love all the details and layers from start to finish. Wonderful card, Chris. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete